Here's what I did:
- Install WebSphere 8 and MyEclipse Bling
- Grant users full control of the AppServer directory
- Create a WebSphere profile however you prefer
- Open the command prompt as an admin to create a service for the profile
- 'cd' to your WAS home bin (e.x. cd C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\bin)
- WASService.exe -add AppSrv01 -serverName server1 -profilePath C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\profiles\AppSrv01 -startType manual (replace AppSrv01 and the profile path with yours of course)
- Download SetACL
- Open Services, right click your WAS service and click properties. In Path to executable copy the actual name of the service (e.x. "IBMWAS80Service - AppSrv01")
- In the command prompt: SetACL.exe -on "IBMWAS80Service - AppSrv01" -ot srv -actn ace -ace "n:S-1-1-0;p:full;s:y;i:np;m:grant;w:dacl"
The n: part you define the SID of the user you want to grant access. S-1-1-0 is the SID for everyone.
At this point, WAS starts just fine when a standard user starts it via services management, however by using WASService -start (which MyEclipse Blue uses) it still does not work. Update soon when I figure it out.